Saturday, March 17, 2012

A kitchen Island before and after

Well you all know what a sucker I am for a kitchen Island. Like all the best islands, this one started life with a different purpose. I found this great vintage pantry cabinet at an estate sale a little over a month ago. I was immediately drawn to its original enamel handles and its great proportions. With the right changes, it could be a magnificent island. I started by adding feet, as it needed more height (the standard island is 36 inches tall). The feet are actually a mid section from table legs on a base for a table I couldn't salvage. I then added a barn board top directly onto the old formica one. This gave me a bit more height and helped to stabilize the top. It's bracketed from the inside so the top can be removed by taking out four screw (it need to get through the doorway into it's new home!). I painted the whole thing white and sanded, stained, and polyurethaned the top. It was one of the hardest biggest projects I've taken on, but totally worth it. Pretty amazing transformation huh?







No comments:

Post a Comment