Thursday, November 1, 2012

A Swedish Red Dining Set

You may recall my post from Sunday, debating what color to paint the chairs on a beautiful pine dining set I just recently acquired. Well I must have been a little light headed from the dropping pressure from Hurricane Sandy, because I got home and remembered that I actually have two of those pine dining sets right now. One of the sets has four matching chairs, the other has six. Soooo, that means I can try one set in the Swedish red, and the other I'll do in a light dove gray. I worked on the first set all day on Monday while the storm raged outside, and luckily we didn't ever lose power.
I sanded the top to expose the wonderful dynamic grain of the pine. I stained the top with ipswich pine Minwax stain, just to give the wood a little depth and make the grain pop. I poly'd it 5 times, as usual, to give the top resilience. I painted the chairs this cheerful rich shade of red, then applied water based poly to protect it. All in all, I think it's pretty cute, and wood look just as good in a modern colorful house as a nautical themed cottage or an antique farmhouse.
I only have a before on the table, not the chairs, but there are lots of pictures below.
Enjoy!













No comments:

Post a Comment