Tuesday, November 5, 2013

A Pair of Chippendale Chairs

       I loved these chairs as soon as I saw them at the flea market. For a moment I thought they might be first period (18th century), but they are 20th century. Interestingly, they're marked on the inside of the seat rail "Oxford Antiques August 17 1971". They're very well built with a nicely shaped crest rail and slipper feet, a cross between Newport and Philadelphia style Chippendale. I had a little internal battle, debating whether to put them in the shop or keep them for myself, and decided they had to stay with me.
       I painted them in ASCP ochre and then waxed them. The seats are recovered in a soft blue velvet. I've got one by the wall in the master bedroom, and the other by the new antique desk. Pretty sweet right? I think they add just the right amount of Swedish Country freshness to the room.








This post is partying at:
Furniture Feature Fridays

No comments:

Post a Comment