Wednesday, December 10, 2014

A Mahogany China Hutch in Pale Blue

It was tricky to get this piece. First, it was a little over an hour away. Twice I scheduled to pick it up and had to cancel because of bad weather. Finally I managed to get down there, but we had to carry this beast down two flights of stairs inside the house and two flights of stairs outside the house. When I got home I had to unload it by myself and get it into my workshop before the rain started up again.

It was well worth all the work, though. I knew it was a star as soon as I saw it on Craigslist, and it was even more enchanting in person. I found a scrap of paper inside one of the drawers that had a date of 1941 on it. I'd wager that's about when this piece dates to. It's built so well, with the most amazing attention to detail. I painted the exterior in a pale blue, and the interior in a cream, then finished the exterior with distressing and dark wax.













1 comment:

  1. You did a great job! I wonder how on earth you got that in by yourself!??

    ReplyDelete