Saturday, January 17, 2015

A Chippendale Drop Leaf Table

We're going to do a whole blog post on why every single one of you needs an antique drop leaf table. I also need one. I WANT this one, but I should be good and not keep everything. I'm going to get one for myself, though goodness knows I have no free space. I need a bigger house!

I picked up this gorgeous, beautiful, stunning, breathtaking (I wantsss it, my precious!) antique mahogany and mahogany veneer drop leaf table at auction on Tuesday. Gotta say, I was exceptionally pleased with all three pieces of furniture I bought at that sale, and I'm going back next Tuesday- so Yay for fresh goods!!

The top of the table is mahogany veneer, the case, standard, and feet are solid mahogany. As with most of the pieces made right before WWII, the beautiful wood was fully hidden under a sticky dark opaque stain. I sanded the top, and used a light stain, minwax's Honey, to make this feel fresh and modern. The form of the pedestal and feet is anything but modern, however. It's Chippendale in style, though the square top and original stamped brass pull on the drawer both have a bit of a Federal feel to them. Which is to say the base of this table was inspired by furniture made c.1750-1785, the top and drawer more around 1790-1810. That's neat, right?

AND just a little plug, if you want to see first period furniture (actually made in the 18th century), the biggest and best annual antiques show, The Winter Antiques Show, is happening in Manhattan starting this coming Friday. Here's a show link. The tickets are quite reasonable, and it's an opportunity to see things you will never ever see outside a museum. I'll be there Saturday January 24th, doing press for the blog, so if you can't make it, no worries, I'm taking lots of pictures to show you.

Ok, ok, back to the table-









3 comments:

  1. Your pieces and colors on the furniture you "re do" are amazing! I love looking at your blog, so inspiring :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful pieces such character and style 😊

    ReplyDelete
  3. The finished table looks like a lady ready for a party! So very beautiful. I love drop leaf tables but do not own one.

    ReplyDelete