Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Seeing Red

These days I get a lot of my furniture from Carl the Furniture Guy. I'd say he represents about 70% of my inventory. We've been working together for a long time now and he has a strong sense of what I like and what I don't want to bother with. So I do wonder why Carl didn't offer this amazing bookcase to me initially and I had to buy it straight from his booth on Sunday morning like some common pedestrian. CARL I KNOW YOU'RE READING THIS. ;-)

            Anyway. I saw this spectacular antique bookcase in Carl's booth on Sunday morning and knew KNEW I needed it. I couldn't walk by it. It's solid mahogany c.1930 with the original brass label for Desks, Inc of New York on the reverse.

             I painted the exterior in Benjamin Moore's Sangria mixed into a chalk paint, and the interior in a custom mixed warm tan called Melted Butterscotch. I did a coat of bright blue under the red for more interest when distressed, and the sealed everything in my own dark wax. I've staged it as a kitchen piece as I think it would be stupendous is a farmhouse kitchen, piled with dishes, stoneware, and glasses.







1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh! I love this - the color is spectacular, as is the piece itself!

    ReplyDelete