Friday, August 21, 2015

An Empire Library Table

I love the elegant lines of this antique mahogany library table. It's so high quality too, the top is two superb slabs of solid highly figured mahogany. It had the worst shellac-y syrupy finish on it, so bad that it was clogging up my orbital sander so I had to strip it before sanding, something I never do as stripper is hard and messy to work with. It was worth it though the stripper took enough of the bad surface off that I could sand the rest to reveal the wonderful wood underneath. I painted the base in one of my favorite colors, Folk Art Gold, and highlighted the carvings with a buttercream yellow before distressing and dark waxing it. The best part about this table is that the top swivels, to reveal storage within, and opens, for a larger table surface!








No comments:

Post a Comment