Wednesday, February 17, 2016

A Federal Sideboard in Cream and Gold

I've said this before, but this is the best sideboard I've ever handled. My friend spotted it at the goodwill, of all places, and bought it on my behalf straight away. I zipped up and picked it up the very next day. I could hardly believe my eyes. It was in superb condition, beautifully built, and had so much detail! Even the drawer pulls are beyond belief. A client selected it as the perfect piece to grace her spectacular and well appointed entryway, and we set to work deciding how to reinvent the piece. First I refinished the top. The mahogany was in great shape, but the old surface had been badly scratched and was starting to crackle. Now it's flawless and smooth as glass once more.
        We decided to paint the case in a griege, a gray/beige that is, and then heavily highlight all the fantastic woodwork, fluted legs, and exceptional lion's head pulls in a bright gold. The detail work took me ages but was so worth the effort. I love the timelessly elegant classical effect. I distressed the case and then sealed it with dark wax.












3 comments:

  1. Spectacular piece! I especially love how you made the distressed areas match the pulls. Simply brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i am going to work on my first piece this spring. i just bought it at goodwill for 19.99! you are such an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete