Tuesday, February 2, 2016

A Lane Cedar Chest in Sunny Yellow

Since it feels so much like spring outside, I'm getting inspired to paint pieces in cheery shades that put me in mind of warm sunny mornings and blooming flowers. This handsome cedar chest came from an antique shop down on the shore. It's made by Lane, and finely put together, but it's dark dreary exterior screamed 1981, which wasn't a particularly good year for design, if you want my graining. I painted the case in a fresh custom mixed yellow called 'Sunday Brunch'. I played up the carved sunbursts on the panels with a pale yellow highlight, then distressed and waxed the case. I replaced the boring old chippendale pulls with spectacular salvaged 19th century pulls I'd been saving for just such an occasion.










No comments:

Post a Comment