Tuesday, February 9, 2016

An Antique Mahogany Server in Cream

And finally for today, this antique mahogany server that I picked up at auction this past weekend. It was an auction full of terrific furniture, and this is the first of several beautiful pieces I scored there that I'll be sharing with you. I knew as soon as it was unloaded that I wanted to see it in cream with a dark top. The server is beautifully embellished with elegant applied scroll work, but all that detailing was lost on the dark shellac-y stain of the case. I mixed up a custom cream that leans a bit towards greige, and gave the case a whole new look with a fresh coat of bright paint. I then painted the interior of the cupboard portion in a custom mixed spring green. I kept the original pulls but recolored them in a verdigris shade. I sanded, stained, and sealed the top to bring it back to its original glory. This server is a nice universal size, not as large as many of the sideboards I've worked on recently, and could go in some many places in a home!











No comments:

Post a Comment