Friday, April 15, 2016

The Shipwright's Hutch

I was so tired the day I drove down to Shelton to pick up this piece to refinish custom for a client. I had been up at 5am that morning to go to the Elephant's Trunk Fleamarket, and by the time I finally got to Shelton it was late afternoon and I'd already driven some five total hours in my truck that day. And then I got out of my truck and saw the hutch that was to be my latest project, and forgot all my exhaustion immediately. Solid cherry! Hitchcock! Look at that delicate scalloped molding across the top, and the handsome finely proportioned windows that so perfectly balance the doors below, all supported on tremendous tall bracket feet. This one's a stunner. And the client had just the right plan for it.
         Inspired by another hutch I refinished a few weeks ago, we went with a deep blue, a custom color I mixed called 'Essex Blue' and a cream interior complimented with soft nickel hardware and a driftwood gray top. Since the inspiration hutch was named 'The Mariner's Hutch', I've decided to call this one 'The Shipwright's Hutch'. I just love how it turned out, so stately and refined. Hitchcock is always a joy to refinish, the quality is exceptional and the forms are always so lovely.







1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful change! I love this blue colour. How many coats of paint did you use ?

    ReplyDelete