Tuesday, May 24, 2016

A Vintage Maple Hutch in Ivory and Blue

Yesterday was a good day. The weather was superb and I got to work on a piece I was really excited about. I've been doing lots and lots of custom work lately, which is great, but it's nice sometimes to have a little more control over a project, and be able to see it through from vision to completion.
          I snagged this sweet mid 20th century Chippendale rock maple hutch by Cochrane at the flea market last weekend. I love the arched windows on top balanced by the arched doors below, and the nice petite scale. I couldn't decide how I wanted to paint this one at first, but in the end decided to go with a custom mixed ivory almost solely because I'm painting another hutch black later this week and I wanted to mix it up. I went with a custom mixed sky blue for the interior. I actually mixed the blue three separate times before I was satisfied with the tone. The hutch needed very little structural work, I just had to reattach the runner guides on the drawer bottom, so I flew through this piece in a day and a half.
          I swapped the clunky batwing pulls out for more sophisticated salvaged bail brass pulls on the drawer, and then added knobs to all the doors. I kept the original backplates, and recolored the lot in hammered black, so it would pop against the white. I won't lie. I LOVE how this hutch turned out. SO SO SO pleased. And now it needs a home. One of you should definitely buy it, just saying.











No comments:

Post a Comment