Wednesday, May 11, 2016

An Antique Mahogany Sideboard in Greige

Isn't greige the dumbest color name ever? I kind of hate it, though I'm not entirely sure why. Anyway, greige is the new hot color for all the people who drink artisanal teas while listening to NPR podcasts about birdsongs, or whatever.

       But as much as I dislike the name, it's a good color, warmer than gray, more soul than beige, perfect for an antique sideboard when the form is more than enough to take the cake. I got this wonderful antique Federal mahogany c.1930 sideboard off the local buy/sell/trade Facebook page on Tuesday. The serpentine front and fine square tapered legs ending in spade feet are killer, as is the set of oval brass pulls. Possibly the best part though, is that while refinishing it today I realized that it's signed in pencil on the underside of both large drawers, "D. C. Sweeney Furn. Co./ Springfield Mass". I've googled around a bit and haven't been able to find any mention of the company, but since the piece can't be much older than right before WWII, I'm sure I'll be able to track it down.

        I refinished the wonderful mahogany top, and it's absolutely flawless. I painted the case in a custom mixed greige which I've named 'Sweeney Buff', and added a bright pop of blue for the interior of the cupboard portion. I kept the original drawer pulls but recolored them in a hammered black for a sleek modern finish. I love love love how this one turned out!!












No comments:

Post a Comment