Tuesday, August 23, 2016

An Antique Oak Dresser in Blue

I'm determined to get caught up on my backlog of blog posts today! For those of you who follow me on other social media, some of this content will be a repeat. For those of you who only follow the blog- Today is your lucky day!!!

I bought this sweet c.1900 solid oak dresser as part of a group from a gal out in the country in Columbia, CT. It is SUCH a pretty drive between my house and hers and I have to say, that is one of my favorite parts of the job. Connecticut is a gorgeous place in every season, and the drives to pick up furniture are always a treat. The drives to deliver furniture, on the other hand, are white knuckle torture sessions as I imagine every possible thing that could go wrong before I get the furniture safely inside the client's house.

           So I knew as soon as I saw this dresser and mirror that I wanted to paint it blue. I mixed up a custom medium blue with a hint of duck egg and highlighted the raised carving on the mirror with a lighter shade. I was so pleased with how nicely the top sanded out, a hundred years of use and now it looks brand new once more. I stained it a honey color and sealed it. I opted to keep the original stamped brass drawer pulls because they're funky and silly and wonderfully Art Nouveau.








1 comment: