Wednesday, November 23, 2016

A Solid Maple Hutch in Black and Gray

Oh Ethan Allen, I do love thee. Actually, while I'm on the topic of things I love- Have you guys all gone and seen 'Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them' yet? You really really must. It's my new favorite movie ever. SO GOOD. So much better than any of the Harry Potter movies. And I've now booted Jay Baruchel to the curb, my new man crush is Eddie Redmayne... mmmm magical AND British.
             Now back to business. This hutch is also from the ReStore, one of the best places ever to get furniture! The brother of one of the clients spotted it and approached me to refinish it for him and his wife. I loved their vision for the piece from the word go. It's magnificent, solid maple, by Ethan Allen and just top notch all the way through. The client wanted to paint the case a matte black and do the interior in a platinum shade of pale gray. We opted to swap the dorky vintage pulls out for turned wood knobs that I stained to match the top of the base, which I refinished in a deeper brown- it's just flawless!
               I distressed the case and sealed the exterior in a dark wax and the interior in a clear wax. I think it's about as elegant as a hutch could possibly be now- understated and, as the client put it when I sent him pictures, "that looks sexy!".







1 comment: